Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Abridgement Debate

SimplyAudiobooks.com have had a poll up regarding the "To Abridge or Not to Abridge?" question. When I last viewed it the figure was up at 95% for Unabridged.
Not hugely surprising - if forced to take sides I would go this way too.

I've been coming to the conclusion that the issue is not simply black and white. To begin with some books would really benefit from having a bunch of their pages ripped out bodily and to my mind this does not merely apply to plot driven pot-boilers.

All this has been prompted by my acquisition of an unabridged Three Men in a Boat. I grew up with an abridged version forever close by and it appears that the rule 'Daddy knows best' is never better applied than when to audio versions of late Victorian travel writing. Jerome pads the witty passages he is justly remembered for with what can only be described as vast tracts of overly-romantic word painting. Knights & squires, Magna Carta, Good Queen Bess and ye olde Englande in general all feature heavily. If I were reading then at least 50% would be skimmed. In audiobooks the only option is to mentally tune out and wait.

Anyone think of any other books that benefit from abridgement?

No comments: