Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Audio Book Review - The Eyre Affair

I'm getting into a habit of being really harsh on people who have done pretty well nothing to deserve it. First Project Gutenberg, then AudioBooksForFree.com and now Gabrielle Kruger who reads



The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde
Read - Gabrielle Kruger
11 hrs 20 mins





The fact is I love this book and her narration didn't work for me at all. Actually that isn't entirely true... predominantly the book is a first person narration and her voice for the primary character was full of personality without being irritating. Secondary characters, however, pretty well sounded alike.

Book: 5
Primary voice: 4
Secondary voices: 1
Atmosphere: 3

Overall: 3/5

Its possible, I suppose, that this is a gender thing. As a guy am I more likely to pick up on bad male voices? Alternatively how are you supposed to do the male voices in a first person narration by a woman? I don't know but I do know that The Eyre Affair on audio didn't live up to the book.

Such is life.

No comments: