Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Regarding Psmith

OK.
I've gone with another Psmith book
In fact pretty well the other Psmith book

Its non-traditional Wodehouse being an early work. The Psmith series, I would surmise, is aimed more at a Boys Own Paper kind of audience than his later books. Certainly 'in the City' seemed to relate all activities to the structure of a boys boarding school. Journalist is set in New York and is packed with comedy gangsters and Tammany Hall politicians.

I'm a big fan of the reader of this book - Jonathan Cecil.
So far as Wodehouse goes he rules.
The Blandings castle saga is up for grabs but from Ukridge to Wooster Jonathan Cecil is the man.
That said I'm English.
There are lots of American voices in this book.
I don't know but I suspect he isn't wonderful.
Nevertheless I'm still going with a universal 4, good but not great

Book: 4
Reading: 4
(Primary voice 4, Secondary voice 4, Ambience 4)

Ultimately all very good.
A warning though. I got this from Audible and the quality is really bad. I was using their 3 format. I haven't checked the 4 format but generally 3 is perfectly adequate the only noise being the original quality of recording. This was damn awful. I'll check it out 4 at some point

No comments: